The Higher Education Technical School of Professional Studies in Novi Sad was founded in 1959 as the Advanced Mechanical Engineering School. Today it is one of the leading higher education institutions, with 10 accredited programmes of the basic studies and 2 master programmes of professional studies, functioning in compliance with the European educational standards stated in the Bologna Declaration.
The first degree of higher education – Three-year basic professional studies with 180 credits (ECTS):
- Mechanical engineering
- Road traffic
- Disaster and fire protection
- Occupational safety
- Environmental protection
- Graphic engineering and design
- Industrial product design
- Web design
- Electrical engineering
- Information technologies
After the completion of the basic professional studies, education can be continued at some of the existing master programmes of professional studies in our School or in other corresponding higher education institutions in the country and abroad.
The second degree of higher education – Two-year master professional studies (following the basic studies) with (180) + 120 = (300) credits (ECTS):
- Protection engineering
- Information technologies
Work placement in the final semester
The Higher Education Technical School of Professional Studies in Novi Sad has included work placements in its study programmes as an important segment. Students at basic professional studies spend the last semester at practical work in an enterprise or institution. Professional master practice is organized in every study year of our master professional studies. We strive to make this practice really good, which is achieved through a careful selection of the partner organization and monitoring of students by a teacher-mentor and co-mentor from the organization. The result of the work placement is gaining experience and collecting material for the diploma project, but it also happens that students after finishing their studies get jobs where they have performed work placements.
Cooperation with foreign institutions
The cooperation between the School and similar institutions abroad is an important aspect of our academic life. Therefore, we have established relations with the Technical University of Ostrava (Czech Republic), Polytechnic University of Timisoara (Romania), University of Applied Sciences in Karlovac and College of Occupational Safety and Health from Zagreb (Croatia), among others.
With the Technical University in Zvolen (Slovakia) we prepare joint conferences and projects. In addition, an agreement has been signed on student mobility.
Every year in January in the ski resort of Kopaonik, our School hosts two international conferences, on Risk and safety engineering and on Knowledge management and informatics. Also, we biennially organise international conferences on Fire and explosion protection and on Safety engineering, which are held in Novi Sad in October.
We participate in international projects having scientific, research or educational character that support student and faculty exchange, like Tempus and Erasmus. In the past years, the School has been a partner at three Erasmus+ projects:
- Waste management curricula development in partnership with public and private sector 561821-EPP-1-2015-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP (http://wamppp.vtsns.edu.rs/);
- Knowledge for resilient society 573942-EPP-1-2016-1-RS-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP (http://kforce.uns.ac.rs/).
- Digital Internship Model for Higher Professional Studies 2020-1-RS01-KA226-HE-094527 (https://dimps-erasmus.com/)
Our current Erasmus+ project is 2022-1-HR01-KA220-VET-000086983 Smart home models in VET. It deals with the introduction of the smart home model into teaching in vocational schools. The goal of the project is to bring students closer to modern technologies that contribute to energy saving and a more effective fight against climate change.
The project was created according to the idea of our professor Božo Ilić. The coordinator of the partnership is the ELPROS, Croatia, whereas other partners are Panevėžio mokymo centras, Lithuania, Ida-Virumaa Kutsehariduskeskus, Estonia, and Baranya Megyei Szakképzési Centrum, Hungary.
In mid-December 2022, we hosted a meeting of all teams and a three-day workshop for 16 participants from partner schools, presenting them our teaching model of a smart home.
ERASMUS+ project Smart home models in VET – working meeting in Hungary
Our project team participated in a meeting with colleagues from partner institutions in Pécs on 3-5 April 2023. Our host was the secondary school center Baranya Megyei Szakképéssi Centrum, whose member is the Zipernowsky Károly Technical School with which we directly cooperate, founded way back in 1912. We visited their well-equipped workshops and met students who win first places in competitions. They presented us their version of the smart home model that is being developed on this joint project to help students master the layout of smart installations and equipment control more easily.
In the continuation of the working part of the meeting, the Project Coordinator, Electrical Engineering and Traffic School Osijek from Croatia, prepared a detailed report on the activities carried out so far. We gave a presentation of the future smart classroom in our school, and announced a short-term programme of studies on the topic of technologies used in a smart home.
Cooperation with representatives of companies whose activity is related to smart structures is very important to all of us because of the student practice that can be carried out there. That is why the online participation of the manager of the Hungarian company Okosotthonlabor was extremely interesting, and representatives of partner schools from Lithuania and Estonia were also present via video link.
The latest news and activities on the project can be found in its newsletter.
International student and staff mobility
International Office contact e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobility Coordinator: email@example.com
Course catalogue in Serbian and English
Mobility forms for students and staff:
- CV forms in different languages
- VTSNS staff mobility work plan form in English
- VTSNS student mobility application form in Serbian
- VTSNS staff mobility application form in Serbian
- Additional VTSNS staff mobility application form in case of disability in Serbian
- Verification letter for VTSNS in Serbian
Useful links for incoming students and staff
Credit system methodology used at the institution
VTSNS competence-based curricula describe the expected learning outcomes for each study programme and individual course unit. The students are expected to do a certain amount of work to achieve the learning outcomes. This workload is defined through ECTS credits. The workload of a full-time academic year is 60 ECTS, i.e. 30 ECTS per semester. VTSNS uses the ECTS credit system to allocate credits to course units, based on a full-time student’s workload per course unit. One ECTS corresponds to 26 hours of student workload related to the curriculum including lectures, exercises, practical work, homework, tutoring sessions, independent learning for colloquia and exams, as well as the time necessary for taking the colloquia and exams.
Consequently, the total number of ECTS per study year is at least 60 if all course units are successfully completed. Our budget students must complete 60 ECTS per year, whereas self-financed students must earn at least 37 ECTS. Our first degree studies (basic professional studies) have 180 ECTS, while the second degree studies (specialist professional studies and professional master studies) have 60 ECTS and 120 ECTS, respectively. The credit issue is explained in the institution’s Rulebook on enrollment, ranking and study rules, can be find here.
Language policy regarding incoming and outgoing mobility
Since the instruction language of the School is Serbian, incoming students attending our courses should know the language sufficiently well to take part in all teaching activities, so B1 CEFR level in Serbian is required. In case of any difficulties in communication in Serbian, students can consult the English language teacher in the School who is experienced in teaching Serbian to foreigners intending to study in Serbia. In incoming staff mobility, the English language can be used for giving lectures provided the language proficiency refers to B2 CEFR level. For participants with long mobility periods wishing to take a language course in Serbian, we recommend courses organized by the Philosophy Faculty in Novi Sad.
Our outgoing staff members have to attain a minimum B2 CEFR level of language proficiency in English or any other language that will be used during their mobility. Our students have two mandatory courses of English in all bachelor study programmes, and those who pass the exam in Specialist English (B1 CEFR level) with grades 9 (exceptionally good) and 10 (excellent) can apply for mobility programmes outside the region. Furthermore, it is the practice of the School to send its mobility candidates to intensive language courses, particularly when the language required for a specific mobility is not English.
Cooperation with industry
The Higher Education Technical School of Professional Studies in Novi Sad has an extensive collaboration with industry, offering a wide range of services to local and regional businesses, such as:
- Inspection and testing of prescribed work equipment;
- Inspection and testing of working environment;
- Professional training for a third party for jobs regarding:
- occupational safety and health,
- persons responsible for carrying out the examination and testing of work equipment,
- persons responsible for the testing of conditions in the working environment,
- wood machinists, and crane, forklift and construction machinery operators;
- Development of the Workplace and Work Environment Risk Assessment Act;
- Development of the OSH Regulations;
- Consultancy activities in the preparation for the quality system certification in the fields of management, environmental protection, occupational safety and health, and integrated systems;
- Testing of electrical protective equipment;
- Development of the Waste Management Plan.
- Name of the institution: Visoka tehnička škola strukovnih studija u Novom Sadu
- Address: Školska 1, 21000 Novi Sad, Serbia
- Е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +381 21 / 4892-511
- Fax: +381 21 / 4892-515
- Director: email@example.com
- Secretary: +381 21 / 4892-525
Student Affairs Office:
- Protection department: +381 21 / 4892-513
- Electrical engineering department: +381 21 / 4892-529
- Mechanical engineering department: +381 21 / 4892-529
- Graphic department: +381 21 / 4892-513
- Head of the Student Affairs Office: +381 21 / 4892-507
- Accounting Office: +381 21 / 4892-508
- Giro account: 840-727666-18
- Risk and safety engineering
- Knowledge management and informatics
- Safety engineering and fire and explosion protection
- Advanced technologies in the function of economic development